We can be our own worst critics can’t we. Putting way too much pressure on, and setting a really high standard for ourselves. Then we end up feeling guilty or frustrated that we didn’t achieve all the things we set out to do, or feel disappointed that we didn’t meet our expectations.
Do you recognise this in yourself? If so then you’re certainly not alone. It’s something I work on a lot with coaching clients, and it’s a habit I can easily fall back into myself too.
Life can be hard enough without being so tough on ourselves all the time, so give yourself a break. Don’t be so hard on yourself and give yourself permission to be or do whatever you need to.
Give yourself permission, because guess what? It’s okay to:
- Ask for help. You don’t have to do everything yourself.
- Fail sometimes. It’s proof we’re trying, and it’s how we learn.
- Take a break, give yourself a day off. Seriously the world will be okay without you for a day.
- Do the things you enjoy. Putting others first is great, but sometimes it has to be about you.
- Rest and recuperate. Listen to your body when it tells you enough is enough.
- Dream. From our dreams comes the motivation to take action.
Today I’m giving myself permission to rest and recover from an annoying chest infection. I have some important meetings later this week, planning exciting things to come in the new year, so today I’m allowing myself time and space to feel better. I’m looking forward to sharing these plans with you in the next few weeks.
What will you give yourself permission to do?